You know what they say: you can lead a herring to water, but you have to walk really fast or he'll die.~Rose Nylund

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Mr. Minky, the Town Librarian

Rose: Well, I for one, don’t think there’s such a thing as a totally rotten human being. I think there’s some good in everybody. Well, maybe she’s just one of those people that need to be shown some kindness like a fellow I knew back home, Ernest T. Minky. 

Ernest T. Minky was St. Olaf’s librarian. He was also our town’s only dentist. His office was right in the library where he could do both jobs at the same time. But everyone hated Minky! Well he seemed to enjoy great pleasure in giving other people pain. They hated him so much that nobody every went to the dentist or the library. In 1938, you could tell if someone was from St. Olaf. They were illiterate and they had teeth that looked like Indian corn! 

I’m only half done. One summer, I worked up enough nerve to check out the latest Nancy Drew mystery and Mr. Minky was stamping my book and his tie caught in the stamping machine. He’d have choked to death if I hadn’t cut his tie with my Girl Scout knife. Well, he was so overwhelmed with gratitude, he let me check my book out for a whole week! Oh, usually he’d only let you check a book out for an hour. Mr. Minky always said, “Books belong in a library.”

The point is, some people you think are mean might just need a little bit of kindness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment