You know what they say: you can lead a herring to water, but you have to walk really fast or he'll die.~Rose Nylund

Friday, November 9, 2012

Reverend Mackenzie and Millie Beasley

 Rose remembers her rebellious stage:

I cringe at some of the stunts I pulled when I went through my rebellious stage. Like climbing out my bedroom window and stealing my father’s truck to drive to a bar in the city to meet Clel Lightener. Oh, Clel was the cutest boy at our high school. He was also the only sophomore old enough to get into a bar. I sat in the truck for hours, paralyzed with fear. I kept thinking to myself, “What is a simple Protestant farm girl doing in the parking lot of a gin mill in a flashy, fast-paced city like Tyler’s Landing?”.

I marched up to the door, and I ran right into Reverend Mackenzie coming out of the bar on the arm of Millie Beasley, wife of Emmett Beasley, our town’s most decorated war hero. Emmett received three Purple Hearts…all for head wounds. He ran the feed store in our town. ‘Course, if the truth be known, Millie was the one who had to make change for the customers. 

Oh, sorry. Anyway, Reverend Mackenzie made a deal with me. He said if I didn’t tell on him, he wouldn’t tell on me. So, I went home. He kept my secret, till the day he died. Which was two days later. Emmett found Millie and the Reverend skinny-dipping in the church’s fountain and he shot the both of them. A week later we became Lutherans.

No comments:

Post a Comment